Monday, August 30, 2010

(Re)Searching For Answers Part 1: Definitions and Identity

Merriam-Webster Online defines research as:

1: careful or diligent search
2: studious inquiry or examination; especially : investigation or experimentation aimed at the discovery and interpretation of facts, revision of accepted theories or laws in the light of new facts, or practical application of such new or revised theories or laws
3: the collecting of information about a particular subject

In my humble opinion, research aims to describe current, historical, and/or potential future data via the scientific method.

Tap Dance Picture
My identity as a researcher is shaped by all the facets that make up my personality. Below, please find a (by no means exclusive) list of personal factors that influence my research. By recognizing these attributes, I hope that I take the first step to mitigating potentially harm the impartiality of my future work.


  • I am a well-educated, twentysomething white female
  • I come from a middle/upper-middle class Jewish background
  • My father is blind and has other disabilities stemming from illnesses experienced in the past 15 years
  • I went to 4 undergraduate schools (and still managed to graduate in 4 years--perhaps my biggest accomplishment!), and studied Studio and New Media art at all of them
  • I am particularly sensitive to gender, LGBTQ, racial, ethnic and other rights movements
  • I worked in web design and production at a large corporation in New York for the 3 years in between undergraduate and graduate study
  • I am currently working at the Palmer Museum while taking graduate classes

No comments:

Post a Comment